by Judy Moon
I just finished my annual 21 day cleanse!
It always feels so good to achieve a goal you’ve been working on. It also feels really great to give the body and organs a rest after the holidays. Doing this cleanse every year feels like hitting a much needed reset button.
Every year during this time, I do my best to get creative with recipes and try new methods of self-care.
I added something new in to the repertoire this year and it’s a keeper. I finally got around to making Golden Milk for the first time. There’s a lot of recipes out there for making it but I went with Wellness Mama’s for the base. It seemed the easiest and it didn’t require making turmeric paste.
Golden Milk is also known as Turmeric Tea. Turmeric is known as the “spice of life” in India due to it’s many healing properties. It’s known for decreasing inflammation and lowering blood sugar levels, promoting healthy cell function, just to name a few.
I had Golden Milk for the first time after a lomi lomi massage in Maui last spring. It was magical. Honestly a glass of water is magical in Maui, but I really did just fall in love with it. Why it took me eight months to make it for myself, I’m not sure?
So here’s what I’ve been drinking nightly. It was perfect during my cleanse and is definitely something that I will continue enjoying in the evening. It’s a little bit sweet and a little bit spicy and very soothing.
Quick and Easy Golden Milk (loosely based on Wellness Mama’s recipe)
- 2 cups of milk of choice (almond, pecan, coconut and dairy all work in this recipe) * I use almond milk
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon raw honey or maple syrup or to taste (optional) * I use agave
- Pinch of black pepper (increases absorption)
- ¼ tsp ginger powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Several grates of fresh nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1 tbl organic coconut oil
- First, blend all ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth.* If you don’t have a groovy super duper blender, you can just whisk the ingredients together in a saucepan.
- Then, Pour into a small saucepan and heat for 3-5 minutes over medium heat until hot but not boiling.
- Drink immediately